ACTUN TUNICHIL MUKNAL TOUR
Belize ATM Cave Tour
Actun Tunichil Muknal means the “Cave of the Stone Sepulcher”. It was first used by the Maya during the Early Classic period and continued to be used until the Late to Terminal Classic period. (AD 300-600 to AD 700-900) Four main chambers were used within the cave. These included the “Entrance Chamber”, the “Sinkhole Entrance”, the “Stelae Chamber” and the “Main Chamber.”
The “Stelae Chamber” contained carved slate stelae, blood letting tools, ceramic vessels and a decorated vessel with glyphs depicting a Maya lord being presented with a captive.
The “Main Chamber” contains the remains of 14 individuals who were sacrificed to the gods. Artifacts found in the cave are mostly ceramic vessels, stone tools and ceramic whistles which may have been used for rituals within the caves.
You will be picked up at 8:00 am from your hotel or the Belize Municipal Airport. The tour begins with a two hour drive from Belize City to the village of Teakettle. From Teakettle, you will journey to the ranger’s station, check in and start a 45 minute hike to the cave entrance where you will be able to walk through several caverns to experience the wonders of the ancient Maya underworld: Xibalba. You must be in excellent condition seeing how this an adventurous tour. Also, you must be prepared to get wet since you will be walking through several streams and water paths. The tour finishes at 2:00 pm. at which time you will journey back to Belize City to board your flight or return to your hotel. Tour guide, lunch, water and sodas will be provided. All tours are inclusive of all admission fees and taxes.
ATM TOUR INCLUDES
- Air conditioned transportation to and from the hotel or the Belize City Municipal Airport
- Certified licensed tour guides
- Gear will include head lamps and life vests
- Belizean lunch and refreshments
- Park’s admission fees and taxes
WHO CAN DO ATM?
- Anyone who likes adventure tours
- Must be in reasonable physical condition
- Adults & Kids (who meet age and height requirements)
WHAT TO BRING
- Footwear such as hiking boots
- Light clothing, extra change of clothes and towel
- Bug repellent and sun block
- Water proof cameras
TOUR OPTIONS & PRICING